söndag 25 september 2011

What's in a name?

Two years ago, I had colleagues with names such as Patrik, Birger, Jenny, Janna and Maria. Now my colleagues are Palesa, Dineo, Zani, Khanyisile and Nadeema.
Yesterday was Heritage Day in South Africa where we celebrate the diversity of this country and the wealth is amazing in terms of culture, traditions, religions and names.
My name is considered very strange and hardly pronouncable by many. I am usually called Kaiser, Keyser or Khanyisa (which means light in Zulu). I sometimes say, when introducing myself, that my name is like Kaiser Chiefs without the Chiefs! It makes it easier to pronounce but also causes confusion since Kaiser is a man's name. (To my non-South African readers: Kaiser Chiefs is one of two very succcessful football teams in Soweto, the other being Orlando Pirates.)
But what's in a name?

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar